Sunday 23 June 2013

Viva Boobie! Breastfeeding Abroad


Just a quick post to document my breastfeeding experiences on holiday. We went to Benalmedina, in Spain flying Thomson from East Mids to Malaga. It was a wonderful (if busy - with a ten month and 2 year old) family holiday as my Brother (Uncle Mark) and my parents came too (thank goodness).

The flight - My son didn't have a seat on the plane but he travelled happily on my lap, with the occasional trip over to Daddy for a play. I had read that it helps to Breastfeed babies on take off and landing to prevent painful ears and luckily it seemed to do the trick (he just appreciates any excuse to have a booby in!)

Nights - We co-sleep at home with an occasional stretch in his cot, so Hubby and our little girl had the bedroom in our hotel room (although she often made her way to me too) and me and the boy had the enormous bed settee, it suited us fine and babba boobied to sleep just fine, with the same or slightly less amount of night feeds. 

Days - It was really hot (up to 36 degrees); I did notice that my milk was thinner in order to keep baby boy hydrated (isn't it just amazing?!) and he did feed more frequently. He hardly touched solids in the daytime, just a bit of pasta and fruit in the evenings and yoghurt for breakfast so I was glad to be giving him lots of the good stuff ;-)

Observations - I kept meaning to do some research on breastfeeding in public in Spain before we went but I didn't get around to it (I seem to be busy constantly). Not that it bothered me; I presumed that they would be pretty chilled about it over in Espania, and planned to just play it by ear. The beach surprised me, I BF in my bikini - with the opposite boob still covered - and I seemed to get more stares than those sunbathing topless. Same goes for by the pool. We tended to eat in the hotel, watch some entertainment and then head up to the room so I didn't experience public breastfeeding in restaurants etc. The beach breastfeeding seemed to keep the lookie lookie men at bay too, as an added bonus ;-)

I didn't see one other person breastfeeding in the whole week. I'm pretty used to this, I have seen just one other lady BF-ing in the entirety of the 3 playgroups we attend, and I never seem to see any BF in the cafes etc I go to, but it does sadden me a bit. I suppose I only saw touristy places though. I'm so keen to do my bit to "normalise breastfeeding" and although I'm quite a shy person, I do feel very empowered and strong when I Breastfeed in public, I like to think that when people see me its a small victory for breastfeeding.

I did feed my son on a tour bustoo, which was lovely, the breeze kept him cool and he had a lovely long snoozy feed ;-) 

I'm new to blogging and haven't added a picture before, but here's me feeding on the beach I hope it works, sandy boobs beat sandy sarnies for my boy! 

 


If I could offer any tips or advice for BF on holiday I'd say; Take various scarves/sarongs etc to act as cover ups; you may need to shade baby whilst feeding but also keep them cool, so having different fabrics on hand is good. Also make sure you drink loads of water if you're going somewhere hot as I noticed how dehydrating the extra feeds in the heat were. Other than that I was so pleased that I was breastfeeding; one woman at our hotel had to keep running up to her room to fetch/sterilise bottles....such a faff, and yet more proof that breastfeeding is so much more convenient.

To anyone going away soon have a lovely holiday! I'd love to hear other ladies BF Abroad stories.


6 comments:

  1. I have a competition on The Brick Castle blog to win a Babasling by telling us the most interesting places you've breastfed - I'd love for you to enter, especially as you are taking part this week too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! we already have a Babasling :-)

      Delete
  2. We've not been abroad since our boys have been born, but I do remember trying to feed my toddler at 6 months on a beach in Devon - he was far too distracted by the new scenery that he wasn't very bothered by milk until we got home ;) Lovely blog btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes distraction is a bit of an obstacle at times!

      Delete
  3. Lovely picture :) Im not sure I will get an opportunity to BF abroad anytime soon but I too had lots of stares on holiday in the UK! I enjoy nothing more than smiling at the starers knowing Im doing a great job for my baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! Oh I love to do the stare and smile too ;-) Thank you for commenting :-)

      Delete