Wednesday 22 May 2013

OUCH! What I Wish All Potential Breastfeeders Knew!

It's taken me a while to post again but I really am keen to get this blog going and so I thought I'd start by sharing something that really irks me, it's what I really wish all pregnant women/potential breastfeeders knew...

IT HURTS AT FIRST! I'm going totally against the grain of a lot of established and traditional advice, but my Mum told me when I was pregnant with my Daughter (my first born) and I am so greatful that she did. In my opinion, it flipping well WAILS at first and (don't shoot me) I actually think it's natural that it does. 

I strongly feel that if women weren't made to feel that they were "doing it wrong" when it hurts, they'd carry on for longer. They would have a focus through the agony. I wish that there was someone to tell women who are first time breastfeeders that if they can get through the first week, they will come through the pain. I have spoken to women who said that it hurt them so much that they couldn't do it long term. It makes me so sad to think that no one told them that it does stop hurting.

If I see one more Its Not Supposed To Hurt article I'll implode. I'm not an expert or official consultant, but I have spoken to a lot of women who Breastfeed and 90% tell me that it hurt them (toe curling pain was a common description) at first. My Husband used to cringe and wince watching me latch our Daughter on at first; I used to swear, cry, gasp...but after 20 seconds it didn't hurt and by week two I was latching her on pain free.

I'm unsure as to why the initial pain has to be shrouded in secrecy but honestly...after going through pregnancy and birth women deserve to know the truth, and they deserve to know that they can get through it and the pain fades.

9 comments:

  1. This post is brilliant! It's so true what you're saying, it does hurt at first but it definitely gets better if you're doing it right xxx

    Beauty by Emma - Beauty, Mummy & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Emma! I just hate that women give up feeling they have done t wrong when they've done a fantastic job xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to add that I think this post really will help numerous women. I'm currently pregnant with my first and was given this advice from a mummy friend and proceeded to do lots of research after about breastfeeding. I'm so glad I'm starting the journey knowing what in reality it may be like so that not only am I prepared, but my husband is prepared also.

    Good job! *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jess! I'm really impressed with your research, good on you, what a lucky baby having such a wonderful Mummy to look forward to!

      Delete
  4. It took 6 months for it to stop hurting for me. My son had posterior tongue tie which we had snipped when he was about 1 week old, but it didn't make much of a difference. I spent 6 months using nipple shields (highly reviled and frowned upon by all health professionals I encountered - but a lifesaver (or rather nipple saver!) for me) and one feed a day without shields. Only after 6 months (presumably because his mouth/tongue grew) did it stop hurting and I was able to ditch the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Iris, you brave and selfless lady. So glad it did eventually improve for you (and baby). It really makes me sad that there isn't more support and encouragement for those really willing to not give up. Well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went through agony latching my baby and taking her off again, and again, and again... And gave up after 5 months of mixed feeding (some bottles, some boob). I was glad I lasted until we started weaning. But my husband is very angry that breastfeeding support people told me to take her off every time it hurt. Sometimes I had it right, but I was so sore from the times I had it wrong, it still hurt. It was a nightmare.
    Onwards and upwards! My daughter is now thriving and I am thinking about the next one, and what I will do differently, significantly around breastfeeding. I am hoping to try biological nursing (BN) and we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to read that Judy hopefully you get the experience you deserve next time.

      Delete
  7. It was sore at first but not painful. I think people are referring to the pain you get if baby isn't latched correctly, when they say it's not supposed to hurt xx

    ReplyDelete